Speedy had many names: Walter, Wädi, Madame, Valtellina. Nobody really knows why. They were a reflection of his particular nature. His given name, Speedy, came about because his sister was called Cannabis. Speedy certainly acted as if on drugs from time to time. He was over 16 years old when he left us.
Speedy was the unexpected “gift” of a neighbour in Girenbad and came to us one nice September evening. To call him “unexpected” is only half the truth: we did say to Peach that we might take one of those sweet little kittens if he couldn’t find a home for them!
Speedy could have been described as a “zen” cat. He was very calm and steady and nothing really bothered him. If we were looking for him we just had to follow his grunting noises (caused by a respiratory problem). In Girenbad, he hunted mice occasionally but mainly he trusted the fact that the humans are two legged cat food suppliers.
In Schrennengasse, Speedy took over the second floor flat and lived mostly on Seán’s e-bass case and the boys’ beds. He got rather “heavy” as a result. On the rare occasions that he ventured upstairs (usually to check whether the humans intend to feed him or not), there was a risk that Mr Magoo would jump on him “banzai” and lock him in a vice-like jaw grip: Speedy, being Speedy, just waited for this phase to pass, as it always did, even if sometimes it needed the humans to intervene…
Poor Speedy, like Sven, also had gallstones (the biggest was 2 mm) and couldn’t pee. It was a life-threatening situation and thankfully Dr. Coradi managed to unbung him and get him back on his feet, but for an over 15-year old it was touch and go. And then, unexpectedly, he went blind and almost fully deaf overnight. He coped with this turn of events surprisingly well and “wombled” around the flat finding his way by using his whiskers and sense of smell, and by checking carefully in front of him using one front paw. Until the end, he enjoyed being on the roof terrace, even though he could not see anything any more.
The arrival of the three not so little Maine Coons didn’t faze him at all. We are not sure whether he really knew just how many of them there were.
At the end, the kidney problem caught up with him and so poisoned him that he suffered a series of severe epileptic fits in short succession. We had no option but to relieve him of this torture (by driving across Zurich in the middle of the night).
Bye bye, Wädi